Tuesday, July 25, 2006

DEATH METAL


A short animated film that started life as a smoke test in Flash (wanted to use the blur tools). So, this is really a by-product of experimentation. A happy accident.

I started it last Friday afternoon. As I extrapolated from the smoke test it became a limited animation test (I wanted to work on staggered timings like you get in Saturday morning shows).

It took roughly one working day to make from scratch (ten hrs). Hopefully that doesn't show.

I made a 30 second film back in Uni in about 15 hrs called "Death by Misadventure", so this would be part of that 'sudden death' series I suppose given how long it took to make and the theme. It's kind of nice to sort of vent this stuff every once in a while.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, there's always a bigger fish.

justinpatrickparpan said...

This is awesome, Ian. The animation is snappy, and the wit is spot on. I think it's more then a test. Its a rousing success man, good work!

I. N. J. Culbard said...

Thank you both. Bigger fish indeed.

Anonymous said...

excellent...most excellent
nice "test"

-brian

Marmax said...

Excellent! I wanna do a short in Flash as well but it'd take me a lot longer than 10 hours to do what you did.

Alden V said...

that's awesome. you make flash look easy and fluid.

Gerald de Dios said...

You are the man! This animated short was just fantastic. I love the blurs and smoke effects used.

I. N. J. Culbard said...

goob, marmax, alden V and Gerald (sounds like members of a superteam)many thanks, much appreciated and welcome to Strange Planet.

Piotr said...

awesome sound effects and design!

mike r baker said...

Beautiful! Brilliantly done! I wanted there to be another robot landing at the end of the credits though.