Wednesday, May 24, 2006

By the pricking of my thumbs...

... something wicked this way comes.

Right at the start of making a film I like to get down on paper (I say paper, but what I tend to do is draw straight into Flash using a Wacom Tablet) pretty much where I want to get to by the time I'm done. So what you're seeing here is a sneak peek of where I'm going with all of this. There are wolves in this story. Wolves and red capes.



The wolves started life slightly differently to what you see here. They had humanoid bodies originally, but I quickly opted for lupine bodies when I saw how hungry it made them look. In the story, the wolves have been fighting the Red Hoods for a long time and have not won many battles (you may have guessed, this is a slightly different take on the traditional tale). So the 'skinny, scruffy scavenger' look reflects that perfectly.



T
here are three different wolves on this sheet. In principle, they mostly have similar bodies, so in these designs I've done little to change them. There is a 'generic' wolf form I've yet to design, which I'll be using for scenes with lots and lots of wolves in. All this previsualisation helps me when it comes to storyboarding the film because I can see in my minds eye pretty much what the whole thing looks like.

Grimmwood and all production work is © 2006, Ian Culbard, All rights Reserved.

No comments: